La Gazette du Bon Ton
The Gazette du Bon Ton was founded in 1912 by Lucien Vogel, whose ambition was to reconnect with the tradition of excellence embodied by the publications of Pierre la Mesangère, the famous director of the Journal des Dames et des Modes. The Gazette du Bon Ton was published from 1912 to 1925 but stopped during the war (it ceased to appear in 1915 and resumed in 1920). The Gazette du Bon Ton was published in loose sheets under an illustrated cover. Each issue contained pochoir coloured plates, drawn by the best illustrators of the time. There were also many in-text illustrations and advertisements for luxury houses. The magazine was first directed by Lucien Vogel then by Jean Labusquière from 1924. It was available abroad but only the cover differed according to the country, except in the United States where it had to change its name to la Gazette du Bon Genre for legal reasons. An association with the Condé Nast group was made to distribute the magazine in the United States. In 1915 a special issue in English was published on the occasion of the Panama Pacific exhibition in San Fransisco.